With an abundance of caution and in the spirit of supporting singers who are or will be struggling due to cancellations and isolation resulting from the current pandemic, Lyric Opera OC has revised our plans for the 3rd Annual High Note Vote so that MORE singers have MORE opportunities to win and more prizes.
1. COMPLETELY ONLINE: We have decided to cancel the LIVE finals concert and keep the competition completely digital. Since there is no way to safely predict when large gatherings will be part of our music making routine once more, the voting process will be all online. This will change some of the deadlines, outlined below, but hopefully remove any physical barriers keeping singers from competing.
2. DELAYED DEADLINES: In order to give singers time to film new recordings if they do not have any prepared, we are extending the entry deadline to 11:59 PM on Tuesday April 7th. The only NEW requirement for the submitted video is that it be a link via YOUTUBE. You may submit a cell phone recording made from isolation to a pre-recorded track if you are not able to meet with a pianist to record something in time. Please remember these videos will be shared publicly. See additional deadlines and competition/voting dates below.
3. ADDITIONAL PRIZES: We will be offering additional prizes to try and support the performances of as many artists as possible. The new prizes will include The Grand Prize Winner ($500.00 Cash Prize), Judges’ Favorite ($250.00 Cash Prize), Audience Favorite ($150.00 Cash Prize), plus additional prizes like gift cards and future paid performance opportunities.
· Submission deadline – Tuesday April 07, 2020 by 11:59 PM (initially 4/1/2020)
· The first round of online voting will be open Friday April 10, 2020 at 12:01 AM through Saturday April 18, 2020 at 5:00 PM· Finalists will be announced Sunday evening April 19, 2020 and voting in the second online round will begin at 12:01 AM Monday April 20, 2020 through Saturday April 25, 2020 at 11:59 PM.
· Winners will be announced via Facebook Live and contacted by email starting on Sunday April 26, 2020 at 7:00 PM.
Where: The voting will be hosted at www.lyricoperaoc.org and shared via our social media. We will provide all contestants with a link they can share with friends and family so those without social media can participate.
Who may apply:Singers should have completed at least two and a half years of vocal study. All competitors must reside primarily in Southern California. All entries will go through an offline screening round, and up to 50 singers will be selected to compete in the first online voting round. Up to ten finalists will be chosen as finalists in the second round of online voting. To apply, email email@example.com with the information listed below. Please specify ‘2020 HIGH NOTE VOTE ENTRY’ in the email subject line. Your video submission must be an aria from the standard operatic repertoire. No musical theatre. Deadline for entry is Tuesday April 07, 2020 by 11:59 PM. Include:
· your complete contact information, including email, cell phone, and physical mailing address
· a copy of your resume (pdf preferred) and headshot (jpeg preferred), and 50-100 word bio
· a link to a YouTube video made within the last 12 months of an aria performance with piano accompaniment or pre-recorded track (no live orchestral videos), including the title, opera, and composer. By submitting this video you understand that it will be shared online across any/all Lyric Opera OC social media platforms and websites.
Entry fee:There is a $20.00 entry fee, only due at the time your submission has been approved. The entry fee must be paid in full by Thursday April 09, 2020 before the voting goes live or you will not be included in the competition.